A big congratulations and thank you to the Rottnest Island Authority for organising and delivering an outstanding Quokka Symposium. It was held at the Fremantle Maritime Museum and a broad range of quokka devotees from researchers to conservationists contributed to and were highly engaged in the event.
The following people were speakers at the event;
- Walter McGuire- Traditional Owner – Welcome to Country
- Shane Kearney- RIA – Quokka Management
- Brad Barton – DPAW- Quokka Status Across the State
- Martin Black- Margaret River Chocolate Company – Chocolate Quokka Fundraising Initiative
- Pat Barblett- Rottnest Foundation – ‘Conserving the essence of Rottnest’
- Peter Spencer- Murdoch Uni – Managing Quokkas through Forensic DNA Profiling
- Karlene Bain – DPAW- South West Management & Research
- Trish Fleming – Murdoch Uni- Quokka Food Preferences
- Veronica Phillips – UWA – Rottnest Population Dynamics
Knowledge was shared and gained, increasing all stakeholders’ ability to best manage the Quokka populations on Rottnest and the mainland. Funding for quokka management was boosted by the Margaret River Chocolate Factory donating $5,000 to the Rottnest Foundation, which the Foundation will put back into Quokka conservation and research in WA.
ABC News Link for more information about Quokkas and the Symposium>